Sunday 22 July 2012

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain: Advertising (1984)

I have tried to find a full page of advertising of the The Warlock of Firetop Mountain Videogame but disappointingly my research ended just with this. 

Fighting Fantasy Software Packs
full page advertising,
Sinclair User, January 1984, p.16 

For some reasons Puffin decided not to dedicate a full page adv only to The Warlock of Firetop Mountain Software Pack and instead they decided to mix the FF's Korth Trilogy with the fantasy one. I personally think that from a marketing and advertising perspective was a really a bad choice especially because the main visual reference only to the Sci Fi Game books. The TWOFM is instead barely noticeable in the bottom right corner. 

I still think that the evocative power of the Temple of Terror advertising is difficult to beat and the idea of launching a new fantasy software pack series in this was massive a car crash. However I will try to scan all my resources to see if there is any other press adv around. Submissions are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment